While UK-wide numbers of asylum claims are down, the present austerity drive is exacerbating the plight of destitute asylum seekers in Leeds, with more and more services threatened with contraction or closure.
Without donations PAFRAS does not have the resources to meet increasing demand. All donations go directly to our service users, whether that is in the form of a meal, food parcel or toiletry pack; a small hardship payment or a bus ticket so that they can attend a meeting with their solicitor or submit new evidence in support of their claim to the Home Office.
There are many ways in which you can donate. If you would like to make a donation in person you can do so by coming along to the drop-in during drop-in hours (10–13:30, Thursdays), or to our office or food store. For details of the drop-in location, click here. If you want to take your donation to the Office please contact us to arrange drop-off.
Alternatively, you can drop-off donations at the PAFRAS Food Store during the following work hours:
Monday // 10:00 — 12:00
Wednesday // 10:00 — 13:00
Thursday // 14:00 — 17:00
PAFRAS Food Store address:
Ashton Road Industrial Estate
In-kind donations of food, clothing, etc.
We distribute a huge amount of food in an average year and food donations are vitally important for our capacity to continue to do so.
For reasons of food hygiene and because of our restricted capacity for storage of perishable food stuffs there are some limits to what we can accept, but donations of the following foodstuffs are always welcome:
- Tins: Tomatoes, pulses, beans baked beans, spaghetti, chickpea, vegetables and fruit, fish and meat (except pork). Custard, rice pudding etc. are also good.
- Dry food: Sugar, rice, pasta, couscous, pulses, cereals, (these are split down into portions, so catering size bags are useful), tea, small jars of instant coffee, cereals.
- Sweets: Dried fruit, nuts, biscuits, chocolate bars and cakes.
- We also need: Long-life milk, fruit juices, and diluting juice/squash, cooking oil.
In addition to food stuff our service users often need the following:
- Toiletries such as soap, shower gel, shampoo, deodorant, tooth paste and brushes, safety razors and sanitary towels. Things like babies’ nappies, talcum powder, baby wipes, etc. are also always helpful.
- Clothes, blankets and sleeping bags.
One-off money donations
If you would like to make a one-off donation you can do so by posting a cheque to our office address or by making a debit/credit card payment via Givey or the Charities Aid Foundation (CAF) or the PayPal Giving Fund.
Donations through sales on eBay
There is a way that you can donate a portion of your sales generated from eBay auctions, by adding PAFRAS as a favourite, you will be reminded each time you make a sale if you wish to contribute.
Regular income of any amount is vital so that we can plan our services and ensure that we can meet the needs of destitute asylum seekers. If you would like to set up a standing order, please download a form.
Use Gift Aid and you can make your donation worth more! For every £1 you donate, we receive an extra 28 pence from the Inland Revenue. There is a Gift Aid form included with the Standing Order Mandate (above).
All donations will be used towards the provision of PAFRAS’s services.