While UK-wide numbers of asylum claims are down, the present austerity drive is exacerbating the plight of destitute asylum seekers in Leeds, with more and more services threatened with contraction or closure.
Without donations PAFRAS does not have the resources to meet increasing demand. All donations go directly to our service users, whether that is in the form of a meal, food parcel or toiletry pack; a small hardship payment or a bus ticket so that they can attend a meeting with their solicitor or submit new evidence in support of their claim to the Home Office.
There are many ways in which you can donate.
Food and Toiletries
We distribute a huge amount of food in an average year and food donations are vitally important for our capacity to continue to do so.
For reasons of food hygiene and because of our restricted capacity for storage of perishable food stuffs there are some limits to what we can accept, but donations of the following foodstuffs are always welcome:
- Tins: Tomatoes, pulses, chickpeas and other beans and pulses, vegetables and fruit, fish and meat (except pork). Custard, rice pudding etc. are also good.
- Dry food: Sugar, rice, pasta, couscous, pulses, cereals, (these are split down into portions, so catering size bags are useful), tea, small jars of instant coffee, cereals.
- Sweets: Dried fruit, nuts, biscuits, chocolate bars and cakes.
- We also need: Long-life milk, fruit juices, and diluting juice/squash, cooking oil.
In addition to food stuff our service users often need the following:
- Toiletries such as soap, shower gel, shampoo, deodorant, tooth paste and brushes, safety razors and sanitary towels. Things like babies’ nappies, talcum powder, baby wipes, etc. are also always helpful.
If you would like to make a donation of food or toiletries in person you can do so by coming along to the drop-in during drop-in hours (9:00 — 13:00, Wednesdays). Alternatively, you can drop-off donations of food or toiletries at the PAFRAS Food Store.
The food store is at Unit 24, Unity Business Centre, 26 Roundhay Road LS7 1AB and is normally open during the following hours, but please call the office (0113 262 2163) before coming.
Monday 10:00 am — 12:00 pm
We are currently unable to take donation of clothes, bedding etc. as the Yorkshire Aid distribution hub at Richmond hill is closing down. We are looking at alternative options and hope to be able to publish them her soon.
One-off money donations
Regular income of any amount is vital so that we can plan our services and ensure that we can meet the needs of destitute asylum seekers. If you would like to set up a standing order, please download a form to complete and send to your bank. If you can complete the Gift Aid form (attached to the standing order) and return it to us, all the better.
Use Gift Aid and you can make your donation worth more! For every £1 you donate, we receive an extra 25 pence from the Inland Revenue. There is a Gift Aid form included with the Standing Order Mandate (above).
Donations through sales on eBay
There is a way that you can donate a portion of your sales generated from eBay auctions, by adding PAFRAS as a favourite, you will be reminded each time you make a sale if you wish to contribute
All donations will be used towards the provision of PAFRAS’s services.